6 William Livingstone Memorial Light
The white fluted marble 70-foot high tower is located on the north end of Belle Isle in the Detroit River. It is the only light in the nation constructed of marble.
Built in 1929 with private donations as a memorial to William Livingstone, who was the president of the Lakes Carriers Association from 1902 to 1925. The plaque on the tower explains that that the light is the gift of the citizens of Detroit and the Lakes Carriers Association.
Livingstone was a popular and prominent resident of Detroit. He is known for his promotion of many navigation improvements on the lakes, including the construction of the separate down-bound channel in the lower Detroit River, which is named after him.
The occulting light is visible for 16 miles to the east. It can be visited and photographed at the north end of Belle Isle in Detroit.